walk Page 2/5
starts in Marine Parade, near the Sea Life Centre, and ends back on the
Old Steine (pronounced Steen), diagonally opposite the Royal
SEA AND BE SEEN
considered one of the finest seafront facades in Britain.
'season' - which in its Regency heyday ran from July to March -
society folk would ride along here daily on horseback or in carriages
in order to
see and be seen. It was said one could get a dozen invitations to
on the journey from Kemp Town, in the east, to Hove's Brunswick Square.
the houses were built in the 1820s by the celebrated partnership of
Charles Busby and builder
who designed some of Brighton's most beautiful terraces. Examples are
41 to 45 and 102 to 104.
is thought to be by Sir
(1795-1860) who later designed the
Houses of Parliament.
BOARD AND BODGING
built in the 1780s, was one of the first streets
to spring up as Brighton expanded and is now one of the town's oldest.
houses were rented out as lodgings and their rounded bow windows were
designed to ensure the best possible views of the sea.
The small panes of
blown, then spun out by craftsmen. The
swirled 'bottle glass' panes used today to create mock-Georgian style
in fact the makers' 'seconds' and would never have been used on the
of a building. Houses no. 25 and 26 are modern copies, built in 1996.
Parade, we continue past no. 18, Olivier
House - on the corner of Madeira Place - which is thought to be by
TRACK OF ALL TRADES
was built as lodgings and tradesmen's
houses and is considered one of Britain's best surviving examples of
small-scale Regency architecture.
In 1800 residents
grocer, tailor, carpenter,
cow keeper and 'poney' keeper. No. 36 later became home to social
(1817-1906), who founded an irreligious sect
called Secularism and was the last man ever jailed for
THE PIER THAT DISAPPEARED
built opposite New Steine, opened in 1823 as a landing
stage for ferries to and from Dieppe. Described as 'a great curiosity',
was a stunning engineering feat, consisting of four iron towers
by eight huge chains.
pier. Up to
4,000 people a day paid 2d to
the 350-yard length, buying novelties and souvenir china and having
their portraits cut out in silhouette.
Other attractions were
lounge, reading room and camera obscura
live 'cinema' in which views of the sea and shore outside were
into a dark room through a periscope-style lens in the roof.
Sadly, the pier was
by a succession of storms. And at
on December 4, 1896, in driving rain and howling gales, the entire
structure finally collapsed into the sea.
Its two octagonal
(see inset photo) were left on the
shore. They now stand on either side of the main amusement arcade on
the Palace (now Brighton) Pier (which opened in 1899) and can be seen
from this spot.
A plaque on Chain Pier
House at 48
Marine Parade - former home of the
Pier's designer Captain Samuel Brown - commemorates his vanished